There are some days you just crave a muffin, and that’s okay! Just make sure that muffin isn’t the size of your head and loaded with sugar and empty carbs. You know exactly which muffins I’m talking about. They are the ones that look amazing when you walk past the bakery section in the grocery store. The ones that I’m pretty sure have eyes, because I can feel them staring at me, trying to make eye contact and whispering “buy me”, as I walk past as fast as possible, trying to ignore them.
Let’s not even discuss the variety packs of 24 that warehouse stores like Sam’s & Costco sell…. sigh.
Just because we are eating cleaner, avoiding extra sugar and processed flour doesn’t mean that we can’t enjoy a muffin with our coffee from time to time. In my most recent 7-Day Clean Eating Jump Start group, one of the members shared a recipe for Peanut Butter Banana muffins so I gave them a shot with a few changes.
- 2 Tbsp. Peanut-Butter (I used Sun-Butter which is a great nut-free option)
- 1 Medium Banana, Mashed
- 1/4 Cup Gluten-Free Oats
- 1/3 Cup Organic Applesauce
- 1/2 Cup Egg Whites
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder (make sure it is gluten-free. I use Clabber Girl.)
- Dried Banana Chips (topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, hand-mix all ingredients together except the banana chips.
- Place 6 muffin liners in a 12 count cupcake tray and spray a light coat of a non-stick cooking spray. (Do not skip this non-stick spray. The muffins will stick to the paper liners if you don't do this.)
- Fill each cup about 2/3 of the way full, until you are out of batter.
- Top each uncooked muffin with a few dried banana chips.
- Place tray in the center rack of the oven and allow to cook for approx 12 min or until they are golden brown.
- I used the applesauce to replace 1 egg since I didn't have any more. You could also use 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree instead of applesauce. If you want to take all of the egg out completely, mix 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed with 3 Tbsp hot water until it thickens slightly. You'll use the flax mix in addition to the applesauce or pumpkin puree.
Remember, clean eating doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the things you love. It just means you enjoy them in a smarter way!
If you’re doing 21 Day Fix, you could enjoy these as one of your yellow container swaps!