It’s a word you could probably use to describe me when it comes to pancakes. As I’ve mentioned before, I eat them almost every morning and I’m not ashamed of it.
Yesterday, I woke up and saw that we forgot to run the dishwasher. Not thinking, I popped in a detergent tablet and hit start before realizing my griddle pan and both Ninja cups, as well as the blade where in there. That meant no pancakes for breakfast and I almost cried.
I carried on with my coffee and a bowl of banana oatmeal topped with strawberries but it just wasn’t the same.
When lunchtime rolled around, I was still thinking about pancakes (it really is an obsession) but I also wanted something savory. I look in the fridge at what my option where and decided to experiment.
With 3 simple ingredients and my pancake making tools, these 21 Day Fix friendly, Savory Sweet Potato Pancakes were born!
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (1 medium sweet potato)
- 2 eggs
- Spice of choice (ie: cinnamon, ginger, Cajun seasoning, etc)
- Add all of the ingredients into your blender. Blend well.
- Preheat your griddle over a medium heat until hot. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Spoon 1/4 cup amounts of batter onto griddle to form pancakes.
- Cook 2-3 minutes; Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Top as desired.
For those of you doing 21 Day Fix these count as 1 Yellow, 1 Red and if you top it like a veggie like I did, 1 Green.
After digging through my spices, I opted to use some Cajun seasoning in my batter. I then topped them with 1 cup of baby spinach, which I wilted on the griddle as the pancakes were cooking and a drizzle of Sriracha.
I plan on trying these with cinnamon and maple this week, as well as some other variations over the next few weeks. I’ll report back with what works.
Have you ever tried a savory pancakes before? What flavor combinations do you think would work well?